Building Policies

About Building Policies

This list shares policies related to proper use of Student Center Operations' facilities and we appreciate you taking time to review them in full. Questions about facility use or any of these policies may be directed to the Operations or Event Services staff at 215-204-7131 or

Student Center Operations reserves the right to cancel or end events found in violation of the policies listed herein. Violations may also result in the loss of reservation privileges.  These policies may be changed at any time without notice and only the "live" on-line version of these policies may be referenced or used.

To view our Community Standards in full, please click here.

Animals in the Student Center

Service Dogs: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service dogs are defined as “dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities”, and they are allowed to be wherever the general public is permitted.

Emotional Support Animals (ESA): An Emotional Support Animal is an animal that, by its very presence, mitigates the emotional or psychological symptoms associated with a handler's condition or disorder. The animal does not need to be trained to perform a disability-specific task. ESA’s are not legally protected to be in public buildings, and are not permitted in the Student Center.

Therapy Dogs: Therapy dogs are trained to provide affection and comfort, and have no rights to enter an animal restricted area. As it pertains to the Student Center, therapy dogs are only permitted at events in which the therapy dog organization has been vetted by Risk Management. Approved therapy dogs may not be on the same floor as food service providers, and as such, are limited to events on the second floor of both the North and South sides of the Student Center.

All other animals are strictly prohibited in Student Center Operations’ indoor spaces. 





Atrium Vendor Program

The Student Center Vendor Program allows business owners or other vendors the opportunity to sell their products to the Temple University community. Students, Staff, and Faculty are also able to take advantage of this program. Reservations for the Vendor Program are available from the start of the second week of classes through the last day of class each semester and during special designated times of summer sessions. Learn more

Based on our campus food service contract with Aramark, outside food vendors are not permitted in the Student Center. 

Atrium Sound

A sound system is available in the Atrium to play background music or make announcements related to Atrium programming.  The volume is controlled by HGSC staff and failure to comply with staff requests or directions related to use may result in loss of sound system privilege.

Only one group may have sound and/or use of the microphone at a time. Preference is given on a first-come, first-served basis through the online reservation system.

Changes and Cancelations


Simple Event: Additional services may change a Simple Event to a Complex Event which will require a planning meeting.

Complex Event: Changes must be completed no less than 10 business days prior to the event. 



Simple Event: Must be canceled 3 business days prior to the event to avoid a $10 cancellation fee.

Complex Event: Must be canceled at least 10 business days prior to the event to avoid fees. 

  • Cancellations received less than 10 business days will be charged 50% of costs.

  • Cancellations received more than 10 days prior to an event may be required to pay for non-refundable services.

  • Failure to cancel an event will result in being charged 100% of all costs.

After three (3) cancelations or no-shows by a group, organization or client, said client will risk losing future reservation privilege for a minimum of 1 semester.

All cancelations must be completed via email or otherwise in writing to the Operations office.

Collecting Money

If money is being exchanged at your event in the Student Center Atrium or outdoor spaces, security is not required. This includes, but is not limited to, merchandise sales, donations, ticket sales, etc. For money exchange in any other Student Center Operations' space, Campus Safety is required. 

Common Spaces

Hallways are to be used as thruways only, and may not be used as a waiting area for reserved event spaces. Lounges can be used for informal gatherings.

Event Decor

  • Glitter is strictly prohibited in any form – it may not be used on signs, shaken onto tables, used for crafts or decorations, etc.

  • Confetti is strictly prohibited in any form (as glitter above).

  • Only water-based paint is permitted for crafting.

  • Homemade painted signs must be completely dry before they enter or are used in the Student Center.

  • Displays must be free-standing.

  • Tables used for painting/crafting must be covered.

  • Clients are responsible for removing all items brought to an event. Failure to do so will result in a trash removal fee. 


All requests from producers of films, television shows, commercials, news magazine programs, or documentary news to film, photograph, or otherwise record images or voices in schools, on school grounds, or other Temple property must be referred to the Office of University Communications. Filming of Temple University branding requires written permission from Office of University Communications as well. 

All requests from students, student organizations, faculty, staff or other Temple-affiliated persons for filming, photography, or other recording of images or voices in the Student Center, Student Faculty Center, Mitten Hall, Morgan Hall or any outdoor spaces must request perimission from Student Center Operations in advance. Please visit our Request For Permission to Film page. 

The filming of for-profit projects is strictly prohibited. Filming in the Student Center Food Court is also prohibited. 

Food and Beverage


All food service for events must be requested through Temple University’s campus catering provider. 

  • An approved Catering Exception, approved by both catering and business services, must be provided at least 10 business days in advance of the event.

  • All tables used for food service must be covered. If sterno is being used for hot food, the tablecloth must be linen. 


Alcohol may not be served without prior approval. If alcohol is approved it is to be served by catering staff.  Security is required at all events serving alcohol. Events attended by undergraduate students are strictly prohibited from serving alcohol.

Inclement Weather

  • For reservations in outdoor spaces, cancelations must be made three (3) days in advance of the event. Failure to do so can result in cancelation fees up to the total amount of the event.

  • During rain/snow season, we suggest that you book a back-up date or an indoor space for the same date of your outdoor event. 

Minors on Campus

  • For events that will involve minors, please refer to Temple University’s Policy for the Safety of Minors in University Programs.

  • The process must be started at least 60 days before the event. The Minors on Campus form does not apply to external clients. In order to have minors a  an external client event, there must be sexual abuse insurance purchased for the event.

Outside Equipment

Student Center Operations will provide all audio/visual equipment. Outside equipment is not permitted in SCO facilities unless permission has been granted by Operations staff. Use of equipment may require a set-up fee and any non-standard A/V equipment may also incur additional fees.


  • Posting on walls, doors, windows, poles or trees is strictly prohibited. For guidelines on content and design, check out our Posting Policy.  Temple students, organizations, and departments click here.  Non-Temple affiliates, businesses, and non-profits, click here.

  • Chalking or spray painting on the sidewalks is strictly prohibited.

Public Viewing/Streaming

Any client interested in showing movies or TV shows, whether to its members of an organization or to the “general public”, must purchase the public viewing rights (copyright) for that particular movie/TV show. Purchasing public viewing rights does not depend on audience size or charging of admission, but it may affect the price of license. 
Content that is borrowed, rented or purchased (including online paid subscription services, such as Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, and Hulu), is for personal viewing purposes only. This means it can only be viewed in the user's private living space. The same rules apply for movies and/or television shows that are recorded on DVR or other electronic means. The personal purchase of a movie/TV show does not give the owner the right to a public performance of that film/movie. Permission must still be obtained.
Movies found in the University library have an educational license for viewing, and therefore can only be viewed in an educational/academic building. 

Public showing/streaming of copyrighted content without a public viewing license is strictly prohibited. 

To learn more about Why Copyright Matters, or to purchase a Public Performance License, please visit the Motion Picture Association of America here

Reservable Spaces

Meeting Spaces:

  • Student Center: 200, 205, 206, 207, 217, 220, 223, Underground, Cinema, Atrium 

  • Mitten Hall: MH250, Great Court

  • Student Center: 367A (Student Orgs only)

  • Morgan Hall: S251, S252, S253, S254, D301

Outdoor Spaces include the Bell Tower, Liacouras Walk, Alumni Circle 1, Alumni Circle 2 (Owl’s Head), Founder’s Garden and Columbia Park. Requests for these spaces are made through the Online Reservation System.

Academic space can only be requested by student orgs. These spaces include rooms in all academic buildings (Ritter, Tuttleman, Barton, etc.). These spaces are not available until after the second week of classes. Specific locations may not be requested through the online reservation system, but preference may be noted in the additional remarks section. Departments interested in reserving academic space must contact University Scheduling directly at (website and/or phone).

For space at the Health Science Campus, please visit the Student Faculty Center website here.


The following are strictly prohibited:

  • Moving/rearranging furniture

  • Covering doors or windows

  • Blocking or propping open fire doors and exits

  • Using rooms without a reservation

  • Using lounges/common areas for meetings/events/organized activities

  • Chalking anywhere on campus

  • Soliciting and/or distributing handbills (other than at Atrium tables)

  • Using tape, staples, tacks or other adhesives to affix materials to surfaces other than provided tack strips

  • Unauthorized postings

  • Gambling of any kind

  • Noisemakers (airhorns, megaphones, etc.)

  • Candles, incense or any kind of open flame (other than sterno for food service)

  • Smoking

  • Alcohol

  • Unauthorized food

  • Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, or hover boards


  • Security is required for any event that has one or more of the following elements: alcohol, money being collected, dance parties or a high-profile speaker (as required by TUPD).

    • If money is being exchanged at your event in the Student Center Atrium or outdoor spaces, security is not required.

  • Large scale events typically require security for crowd control. 


To avoid disruption of business operations or disturbance of faculty, staff, visitors, and students, solicitation in non-reservable Student Center Operations’ locations is strictly prohibited.

  • Solicitation includes: canvassing, seeking to obtain membership in or support for an organization, requesting contributions, and/or distributing handbills, pamphlets, petitions, and printed or written literature of any kind.

  • “Commercial Solicitation” means peddling or otherwise selling, purchasing or offering goods and services for sale or purchase, distributing advertising materials, circulars or product samples, or engaging in any other conduct relating to any outside business interests or for profit or personal economic benefit on University property or using University resources.

  • Solicitation and Commercial Solicitation performed through verbal, written, or electronic means, are covered by the Soliciting Policy.

To distribute materials for a department, student organization, or external entity, a reservation for space must be made using the online reservations system at

Note: Brochures are no longer accepted at the Information Desk. Literature smaller than 8.5" x 11" can be displayed on the table outside of Suite 219M.

To sell products in the Student Center, please refer to the Atrium Vendor Program


Student Center does not provide storage of event materials/equipment. 

Types of Events

Simple Event: includes a basic chair set-up, with or without a head table, as well as a computer and projector/screen.  Simple event requests must be made at least 3 business days before the event. A planning meeting is not required for Simple Events. 

Complex Event: anything more than a Simple Event is considered “Complex”; this includes, but is not limited to, special set-ups, food service, linen and/or amplified sound.
All Complex Events require a planning meeting which must be held at least 20 business days prior the event.

Outdoor Event:

  • Simple: a simple outdoor event is one in which no services are needed. Planning meetings are not required for simple outdoor events.

  • Complex: an outdoor event needing services of any kind (sound, equipment, etc.) is considered complex, and therefore would require a planning meeting.

  • Departments: after receiving confirmation of space from Student Center Operations, please contact Facilities through TUmarketplace to request equipment, tables, etc. for approved outdoor events.