Starting a New Organization at the HSC Campus
HSC Student Organization Manual
This manual lays out all policies, procedures and guidlines for HSC student organizations including registration, funding, application process, deadlines, constitution development. Download PDF here.
New Student Organization Enrollment Dates
Any Temple student can apply to start their own organization at any given time. Here's a step-by-step guide to the process.
You will be notified on an ongoing basis if your application has been accepted or denied by the SFC Activities and Operations office. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact the SFC Activities and Operations at (215) 707-4017.
Need to apply for a W-9 and need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)? Visit: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online
How to Start a New Student Organization
Take a look at the current list of over 100 student organizations that already exist at Temple
- The mission and purpose of your organization must be completely different than any of our current recognized student organizations.
- Collaboration with existing organizations is highly encouraged instead of duplicating efforts.
- Contact the SFC Program Coordinator or Associate Director to see if the organization you would like to start is acceptable (email@example.com).
Complete your school's SGA requirments as necessary
TUSM and TUSPM each have their own SGA which also have student organization requirements. Please contact the SGA at your school to ensure your organization has completed the SGA requirements.
***Please note completing the TUSM/TUSPM SGA recognition steps does not ensure your organization has registered with SFC Activities & Operations, the department which allocates funding. Registration with the SFC must be done online via Owl Connect. TUSM/TUSPM organizations which have not completed both the SGA & SFC requirements will not be fully recognized or eligible for funding. ***
Complete New Organization Registration on Owl Connect
Before completing the application please be aware of the following requirements for recognition:
- A minimum of 10 members who are interested in creating or actively participating in the organization.
- A full-time faculty/staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- A constitution that includes the sections described in our How to Write a Constitution guide.
- The application includes questions inquiring about the following information:
- A description of your organization's mission and purpose.
- Contact information for your organization's advisor, officers, and members.
- Need at least 4 officers: President, Vice President, Secreatary, and Treasurer
- Membership requirements (if any).
- Affiliations with local, regional, or national organizations (if any) and contact information for affiliates.
- If the organization plans to travel or work with minors.
- Reference materials such as the HSC Student Organization manual, which contains policies & procedures, and example constitution documents can be found on the SFC Activities & Operations Owl Connect page under Documents at the bottom: https://temple.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/hscactivities.
- Click the "Register a New Organization" button at the bottom of the page using: https://temple.campuslabs.com/engage/register.
We suggest reviewing this page to help answer additional questions you may have. After submission, your registration will be reviewed for approval. Once approved, the organization is recognized as a HSC student organization with SFC Activities & Operations.
The first semester an organization is registered is considered a probationary semester, in which the organization is not eligible to receive allocated funds. Organizations which register prior to the 28th of October (Fall) and Feb 28th (Spring) deadline will be considered to be in their probationary period in the semester in which they register, allowing the organization to request funds for the following semester.
(Example: If ABC Org registers by October 28th of the Fall 2016 semester, ABC will be eligible for to request funding for the Spring 2017 semester.)